[clue-tech] Spontaneously rebooting laptop

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Wed Sep 27 14:34:05 MDT 2006

On 09-27 14:16, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On 9/27/06, Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at comcast.net> wrote:
> >Hm, looks like I may be returning this laptop, although I'd like to
> >determine the cause if possible. It's Costco, so I doubt I have to build a
> >case or anything due to their policy.
>
> Costco's return policy rocks.

That's why I chose them to get a laptop from. This would be a bigger pain if
it was mailorder. This way, I walk in, no fuss no muss - hopefully.

> Is it possible that the laptop is overheating and rebooting for that
> reason? I have a laptop that has spontaneously shut down a handful of
> times, and each time it's been *really* hot.

Could be - although it's easily duplicated - just run transcode and before
it's done - spontaneous reboot. That's not acceptable as I'm not blocking
any air flow and it's in a very cool office environment.

I'm trying to remember the name of a tool that exercised the computer in
such a way as to highlight any cooling issues. If there is one, the computer
usually locks up within a minute or two.

The memory test is still running, but if that finds nothing, I'm going to
look for that tool.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
Mounting is used for three things: climbing on a horse, linking in a hard disk
unit in data systems, and, well, mounting during sex
-Christa Keil