[clue-tech] a network mystery - traceroute

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 10:42:44 MDT 2007

On 3/31/07, Keith Hellman <khellman at mcprogramming.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 09:38:42PM -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
> > On Linux, the great gurus at ubuntu/debian have decided to drop the
> > traceroute program, offering instead something called tracepath. I get
>
> I've still got traceroute on my system:

Thanks, Keith,

I downloaded and installed traceroute_1.4a12-18_i386.deb from Debian
stable, but the mystery continues.

traceroute produces the same results as tracepath on my system!!!

Not only that:

1) tracepath from my laptop (same ubuntu feisty as my desktop) from a
different port on my hub produces the same results.

2)traceroute from the laptop booted from knoppix 5.0 produces the same results.

I'm wondering if this is a debian networking problem. Maybe I still
have a bootable non-debian system on my desktop.

Meanwhile, could someone else try 'traceroute|tracepath
www.comcast.net'| and report back:

1. someone else on Comcast cable
2. someone not on Comcast cable

--