[clue-tech] a network mystery - traceroute

dperkins at frii.com dperkins at frii.com
Tue Apr 3 07:29:33 MDT 2007

> On 4/2/07, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OK, this has now gotten to be ridiculous. My Linux connection will now
> only stay up for a few minutes - ifconfig shows no address, can't ping
> anything, but the windows box is working OK for the same addresses.
>

> --
Your IP address only lasts a few minutes?  I'm assuming that both of your
computers are connected to the same DSL/broadband router when this
happens.  Are you sure you don't have a hardware poblem?  Cable, flaky
port in the router, etc?  I've even seen a few Ethernet plugs that are too
small and don;t fit securely in the Ethernet port, and they slip and lose
the connection.