[clue-tech] DNS lookups take a looooooong time SOLVED!

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Apr 6 15:12:35 MDT 2007

On 4/5/07, Peter Kuykendall <PeterKuykendall at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have the Comcast "triple play" deal, *without* the extra cost home
> networking.  In my case the cable modem will refuse to talk to any
> device that does not have the MAC address that they configured it with.
>   I believe that the idea is if you want to run a home network, they
> charge you extra for it.  Their terms of service specify this.
> Obviously it's trivial to spoof by having the NAT router spoof the MAC
> address.

Wow, after reading the TOS -- I'm amazed Comcast is even in business.
Apparently you're only allowed to use what, Gopher?  And only if you
keep it below 5 KB/s.

Hah.  :-)

Amazing.

The backlash from pissed off customers *is* coming for the ISP's that
do this stuff, sooner or later... no one really *needs* the hassles
these silly TOS terms cause... and the hassle is becoming high enough
that they'll avoid having Net access altogether.

People will avoid having Net access on certain carriers altogether
rather than fight the TOS.  (e.g. Verizon Wireless' "new" policy that
anything over 5 GB a month is "over-use" of their data plan, for
example... okay fine, I'll buy from T-Mobile or Cingular... thanks.
Good bye, Verizon!)

(Disclaimer: I left Verizon Wireless YEARS ago... this is just an
example of what others will do now.)

The backlash is further along, and really starting to fly in force
against the cellular carriers... articles in magazines about how the
restrictions the US carriers put on people vs. the Asian and European
carriers are starting to go mainstream...

People will start to understand to look for carriers without the
restrictions and factor that into their purchasing decisions.

It's only just beginning...

I welcome heavy-handed TOS's and enforcement.  The more these idiots
enforce, the more educated (the hard way) the end-customers become,
and the more they pick clueful ISP's to deal with.  Perhaps even the
more they pressure politicians to operate CATV as a common carrier
pipeline.  Yay!

Go Comcast... piss off your customers!  GO GO GO!

Meanwhile, Verizon's ruling against Vonage surely means some
interesting things for everyone else doing VoIP... I can see the
Verizon lawyers salivating and writing up sweetheart "licensing" deals
and contracts now... now that they've crucified Vonage in public,
everyone else will happily sign the papers and start sending Verizon
cold hard cash...

Unregulated Telco... less filling, tastes bland... but always entertaining...

Nate