[clue-tech] Dual monitors with 2 video cards?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Apr 9 02:10:52 MDT 2007

On 4/6/07, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <xonker at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Desktop Linux is falling behind, again... not that there were ever
> > very many signs of hope of it ever being useful for anyone not willing
> > to screw with it constantly.
>
> Way to blame the wrong party there. Want to rail about problems with
> video under Linux? Point the blame at ATI and Nvidia, not Linux.

They're certainly part of the problem, but you'd think after 10+
years, someone in Linux would have figured out how to find a way to
fund/research video driver development.

Shuttleworth's dumping millions into Ubuntu, but even that doesn't
seem to produce a Linux desktop machine that can detect and install
open/closed drivers that work properly with "modern" video hardware.

> Frankly, for a OS developed in large part by volunteers without access
> to proper docs, I think it's doing pretty damn well.

There's been evidence for some time now which shows that Linux isn't
developed (the kernel) by a majority of "volunteers".  Over 50% of the
kernel committers are paid for their time on the Linux kernel.

Nate