[clue-tech] Dual monitors with 2 video cards?

David L. Willson DLWillson at mailman.thegeek.nu
Mon Apr 9 14:13:22 MDT 2007

<snip>

> > Frankly, for a OS developed in large part by volunteers without access
> > to proper docs, I think it's doing pretty damn well.
>
> There's been evidence for some time now which shows that Linux isn't
> developed (the kernel) by a majority of "volunteers".  Over 50% of the
> kernel committers are paid for their time on the Linux kernel.

Before assuming that that's 'non-volunteer' you have to determine whether the funding
source actually profits from it's contribs to the kernel.  I suspect that many companies
fund a kernel developer, not because they need the kernel hacked, but because they want
to fund a kernel developer.  In that case, the developer isn't a volunteer, but the
company funding him, is.