[clue-tech] making ethernet autonegotiation not work

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Thu Apr 26 20:38:17 MDT 2007

Jim Ockers wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
>>> So we have some nice ethernet equipment (NICs, switches) which
>>> supports 10/100 BaseT half and full duplex, and will happily
>>> autonegotiate to the best mode that both link partners support.
>> Well.. if you "have to guarantee" it, then I'd still say a managed
>> switch is the way to go.  If you don't need gigabit then there's no
>> reason you'd need to spend $500 these days.  A quick search at Newegg
>> will give you options in the low 100's and will save you the time of
>> experimenting with filters and such.
>
> Right, I should have mentioned that we have some very specific
> environmental requirements and the "industrial" ethernet equipment
> that meets the temperature/power/static/corrosion/hazardous location
> requirements is expensive.  We can't use normal consumer grade gear.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion though..

Well, this could be a hard find, but another idea is to round up a group
of old, 10baseT ethernet cards from a hardware bone yard somewhere
(assuming you can still find driver support).  Maybe put out a request
to the list?  It's possible you may be able to special order but that
might cost more than a new switch.
-Ken