[clue-tech] making ethernet autonegotiation not work

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Apr 26 21:00:46 MDT 2007

Jim Ockers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can we break autonegotiation for ethernet link speed & duplex
> with a minimum of expense & effort?

At work I hear that they change DIP switches on some box.  But that's
likely an embedded device.

Can you get a media converter with DIP switches, like the ones that go
from RJ-45 to fiber?  To use AUI or whatever to RJ-45 you likely need
different NICs, so that's not great.  I don't know what the fiber
converters cost but we use them everywhere at work (since it's all fiber
but the NICs are all RJ-45.