[clue-tech] Debian: change to apt defaults.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Aug 1 20:13:41 MDT 2007

If you use apt, or something that runs apt underneath, it will start
installing recommends packages by default starting 1 Oct (1 Oct in
unstable, soon after in testing, the Lenny release for stable).

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/08/msg00000.html

Right now if you ask apt to install something it will automatically
install that packages depends.  Recommends is the next level, "The
Recommends field should list packages that would be found together with
this one in all but unusual installations."

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-binarydeps

You can configure apt to keep the old behavior.

Aptitude has done this for a while, and although I don't turn it off I
sometimes stop it from doing this.  For example, something depends on
libfam so that gets installed.  libfam recommends fam, but I don't have
any need of that so I don't install it.  Unfortunately with apt I don't
think it will be as easy as deselecting a package--you'll have to answer
no when it asks for confirmation and then change your command line.

Part of the change is to fix recommends that shouldn't be there so I
don't know whether that makes my example moot.