No subject

Thu Dec 20 21:04:13 MST 2007

Obviously it does have database access, but it doesnt say what type, engine,
etc..

> > >3) What kind of DB support does Java have?  I know about JDBC, but I
> > > want something small that can ship with the app.  Again, I don't need
> > > Oracle support, just something quick to save some simple data.
>
> I haven't found JDBC drivers to be particularly big, have you?

It's not their size, its that there doesnt appear to be a client-side driver.
I don't want the overhead of having to bundle/install/manage an
out-of-process DBMS with a simple app that only needs 2 or 3 small tables.
Again, connectivity is not the problem..

> Have you considered Python? If you used Python with the PyQt package and
> appropriate DB drivers, you might achieve the right combination of quality
> GUI, good database access, and light weight ... certainly lighter than
> Java. Python's DBAPI is comparable to JDBC, and there are implementations
> of it for most popular RDBMS's ... for WinProducts like Access you could
> either use ODBC or ... I don't develop much on Windows so I'm not positive
> ... PythonWin or a COM interface.

Yes, I've considered Python.  However due to speed requirements and
proprietary code it needs to be compiled and most likely C++.

-Dan