No subject

Thu Dec 20 21:04:13 MST 2007

for rsync restore as well as the kickstart file
created from the initial install.

This is a test machine :) I decided to start with
building a kickstart boot disk using the
anaconda-ks.cfg file. .... Broken :)

It didn't like my lvm layout. The auto generated sizes
in the cfg file included decimals for one thing....

Anyway I got a clean rh9 install automagically done
with kickstart after monkeying with the ks.cfg for a
while. Rebuilt my lvm layout .. yeah!!

Now I have rsync'd everything that I saved back across
to the "restored" machine (in a backup directory). The
thing is that what I rsync'd as /etc is /etc as Fedora
core2 likes it. I have been trodding through and
copying what I know is correct and rebuilding the
puzzle. The thing is that even the runlevel scripts
aren't right. EG I use ntpd, the configs came with the
kickstart, but the rc files didn't..

I am pretty sure I can restore this machine, and rsync
is a cool way to preserve stuff. But reverting after a
test upgrade definitely is a pain.

To beat a dead horse, one of the main reasons I don't
just rsync the old /etc on the new layout is the lvm
configuration. (not to mention other system specific
stuff in /etc) That is one of the reasons I rarely do
full system backups ... when you restore something
like /etc .....

Another thing that this got me to thinking about is
using rsync together with the redhat network.  I am
looking into mirroring 2 boxes with rsync.

I mention it because I would rather be updated by them
(redhat) now moot ... but evidently there is the
legacy program which is still active on rh9.

-Mike