[clue-tech] Abortive install - Xubuntu 7.10 (Alternative)

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 08:25:28 MST 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 7:35 AM, . <owl5138 at indra.com> wrote:
> With the purpose of evaluating an alternative to Windows, I attempted to
> install Xubuntu Linux 7.10 on my old computer. I had previously "played"
> with the live CD.
>
> Dell Dimension XPS T500
> Pentium III 500mhz
> 256mb ram
>
> After several hours of churning away, during which I *think* that most of
> the  OS and programs were installed, the computer froze with a black
> screen and the words "GRUB Loading stage1.5 _" in the upper left hand
> corner.
> I was expecting to see some kind of dual-boot screen.
>
> In what appears to be a mis-guided attempt to correct the mess and return to
> the previous condition, I re-formatted the partition in which Linux was
> installed.
> There doesn't seem to be an "un-install" procedure.
>
> Well, as you might guess (or why would I be writing?) that didn't work.
>
> Upon boot-up, the "GRUB..etc." message appears and the computer
> fails to respond. ( Actually, "ctrl-alt-del" results in a re-boot with the
> same result.)
> Can you help me to restore my computer to some level of usefulness?
> Needless to say, I look upon a re-install of Windows as a last resort.
> (ancient Windows 98SE)

Yes. Grub is still in the mbr of your harddrive, but you destroyed the
supporting data that grub needs to boot anything by formatting the
partition.

Basically two choices:

1. If you have (or you can borrow) a Windows boot disk (floppy,
cdrom), boot from it and run 'fdisk /mbr'. This will restore the
master boot record to allow you to boot from windows again.

2. complete a Linux install that will write the grub information again
(/boot/grub/ directory and the grub loader to the mbr). This could be
almost any distro - DSL (damn small linux) or Puppy Linux would be
quick choices..

Actually there is a third choice, you could boo also need to create a
/boot/grub/menu.lst by hand as below.

default         0
timeout         1
title Windows