[clue-tech] Qwest DSL

Benj Fredrick benj.fredrick at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 09:17:52 MST 2007

In July I moved from Seattle (and my beloved Speakeasy service) to Durango
and Qwest DSL. I initially had MSN for an ISP and a dynamic IP, but now have
upgraded to using Qwest as ISP and having a static IP. That last bit I only
changed because I wanted my server up all the time - rather than relying on
a Dynamic DNS update script (the point being, there were no "problems" which
caused me to upgrade).

Being cheap, I opted not to purchase a new modem from Qwest, and am using my
SpeedStream 5260 from Speakeasy. I had to telnet into it, to change the
VPI/VCI info, but it was fairly painless and has worked flawlessly ever
since.

Behind the SpeedStream (which I'm pretty sure does zero filtering), I have a
USR router/wireless AP. The USR router has my IP info from Qwest, and can do
pretty much any filtering/routing you may need. I don't think this is
specific to this model/brand - I have heard great things about the Lynksys
wrt54g's. So I have some NAT routes on the USR, forwarding certain ports to
my server, and maybe one or two to my Ubuntu desktop. My server is a pretty
basic home project, running a handful of web sites + my personal email. I
have not experienced any port blocking from Qwest - and I have used SSH from
Denver a number of times.

hope that helps!
-Benj