[clue-tech] Mirroring Debian testing, i386.

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Mon Dec 24 14:48:46 MST 2007

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 12:58:56PM -0700, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> copies over new files--superior to the way cp/rcp work).  But in a
> repository files don't change once there and I don't think rsync can figure
> out that 90% of the blocks in foo_1.2_i386.deb are the same as those in
> foo_1.1_i386.deb.  So its overhead for checking for changes is wasted.

This isn't my experience (I use rsync for all my backup scripts).
Granted, I probably don't do the volume of bits or inodes in a debian
repo.

If what you say is true, then the -I option to rsync doesn't make much
sense, and I wonder why it is provided:
 -I, --ignore-times
   Normally rsync will skip any files that are already the same size and
   have the same  modification time-stamp.   This option turns off this
   "quick check" behavior, causing all files to be updated.

Perhaps the slowdown is somewhere else, or perhaps the ftp mirroring
script is using --ignore-times?

Just my 2c.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard
khellman at mines.edu
                                   -*-
                    public key @ pgp.mit.edu B5354B76
    Y!M: mcprogramming                           AIM/ICQ: 485403897
                     gtalk: jabber at mcprogramming.com
                                   -*-

Experience is a harsh teacher.  She gives the test before you learn the
lesson.