[clue-tech] Stopping user shutdown.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 4 13:28:15 MST 2007

When using kdm, there's a setting that allows local users to see a
shutdown button so they can turn off the machine when they end their
session.  Anyone know how to temporarily disable that feature?

Suppose that users normally shut down the machine when they finish with
it but an administrator is logged in as well (perhaps via ssh) to do
maintenance.  So the admin wants to block the users' ability to stop the
machine until the maintenance is done and then enable it.

I could try changing the kdm setting but I'm not sure it would work on
already running sessions.