[clue-tech] BlackBerry on Linux

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Thu Feb 8 09:35:43 MST 2007

I have a dilemma right now since I love my BlackBerry that I've had at
work for the last 2 years, and I'm moving it to my own personal email
account.  The problem is that my personal server is a linux box of
course, and I have no intention of ever running an exchange system
instead.  This has intrigued me though:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/exchange/#tab_ddetail_subtab_pricing

I can get a free version of the BES with a single free license.  I'm
thinking I could run the BES in a VMWare environment on my linux server.
  My only question becomes, how would I go about installing exchange so
that it pulls from the linux server, or gets duplicate messages sent to
it in a way that the mail going through Sendmail/IMAP under linux
remains there, but I'd like the ability to have it securely managed via
the BES as well.

Does anybody have any thoughts on how this might be possible?
--

                                 -Mike Staver
                                  staver at fimble.com
                                  http://www.fimble.com