[clue-tech] sftp or ftps?

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat Feb 10 21:24:00 MST 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 08:56:36AM -0500, Adrian Noland wrote:
> On Thursday 08 February 2007 21:25, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> >Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I like rsync, but I the issue really
> >is with not encrypting the data itself. The data transfers are
> >predicted to average about 3 TB per day, and some of the clients who
> >want this data have said they cannot handle their portion with the
> >encryption.
>
> 3TB a day?
> Considered a low tech solution?
> http://duggmirror.com/programming/The_Economics_of_Bandwidth/
> and optionally this...
> http://www.addonics.com/products/Saturn/aesmr.asp

Wow , thanks.  I'm not sure we can use those technologies since the data products need to be distributed as far as California, and Wisconsin, but we do have our major "customers" in-house (for now).  We're supposed to be getting a GigE pipe from one or more of the major data centers, but honestly I've been skeptical about how we're going to get this kind of speed anyway.  Luckily that's not my responsibility, but I will definitely look at this information, and pass it on.

--
The chief danger in life is that you may take too may precautions.
		-- Alfred Adler