[clue-tech] God save us from "user-friendly" distros

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 21:16:43 MST 2007

On 2/15/07, David L. Willson <DLWillson at thegeek.nu> wrote:
> What is the Ubuntu equivalent of YAST2 or the "system-config-" suite of
> utitilities?

Each of the Ubuntu variants - gnome, kde, xfce - has its own control-panel
-like feature. There is no overarching grand unified Yastn equivalent.

>I have three NICs, I opted to configure only one during Ubuntu 6.10
> Server setup.  I am a dumb-ass, because now I can't figure out how
> to  bring the other two online.

Adam covered that. His method is also the standard method for any distro
based on Debian. Ubuntu is working on a network tool for ethernet and
wireless, but it's pretty lame thus far.

> Did you know that RHEL 5 beta 2 is a public FTP download?  No?  Now
> you do.  OK, that's my third question.

Yup. CentOS and Oracle Enterprise Linux (RHEL clones) will be
following right after RHEL5 release.

> I should start a blog.

Yup, I'm sure the must-be-on-topic-technical-at-all-times freaks are
grinding their teeth as we speak <grin>.

> Nevermind, I only have something to say every six or eight weeks...

See ya in April.

--
Collins Richey