[clue-tech] DSL providers

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Fri Feb 16 02:57:30 MST 2007

> Is it really true that all broadband modems in a neighborhood receive
> the packets from every other user in the neighborhood? I've also heard
> that if you directly connect to the cable modem that if you use windows
> or some other smb compatible browser you can see al the computers that
> are on in your neighborhood? I'd assume a router, like I use is a good
> measure to protect against anyone being able to access my computers
> without my permission right (since it assigns internal dynamic IPs and
> requires port forwarding for outside requests to reach any inside
> computer)?

No.. you cannot browse your neighborhood on a cable modem.  Cable modem
providers use the DOCSIS architecture that uses a cable modem and CMTS
in the same way that DSL uses a DSL modem and DSLAM.  Cable modems then
use BPI+ specs (based on digital cert key exchange) to secure the cable
modem to CMTS path.
-Ken