[clue-tech] DSL providers

Hex Star hexstar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 10:41:41 MST 2007

On 2/16/07, William <wwcluetech1 at kimballstuff.com> wrote:

> Hex Star wrote:
> > Is it really true that all broadband modems in a neighborhood receive
> > the packets from every other user in the neighborhood? I've also heard
> > that if you directly connect to the cable modem that if you use
> > windows or some other smb compatible browser you can see al the
> > computers that are on in your neighborhood? I'd assume a router, like
> > I use is a good measure to protect against anyone being able to access
> > my computers without my permission right (since it assigns internal
> > dynamic IPs and requires port forwarding for outside requests to reach
> > any inside computer)?
> Yes, it is true that everyone on the same Cable node is receiving all
> the packets of everyone else on the same node.  That's simply how
> HFC/Cable networks are deployed.  No, you probably cannot browse your
> neighbors' networks.  We (my present networking class) haven't delved
> into HFC networks yet (later chapter in the semester) but I hear tale
> that some kind of tunneling is involved and I'd hopefully assume that
> Cable modems (yes, in fact, they are routers with integrated modems) are
> blocking "unwanted/hostile traffic" that prevents outsiders from
> actually getting inside your home.  Tunneling, encryption, and
> firewalling aside however, all packets are still being copied to all
> your neighbors, affecting the shared bandwidth at your node.
> > As for the neighbor issue...true it may be closer...but still todays
> > ISPs with todays technology are able to provide a ton of bandwidth for
> > each neighborhood so this is rarely a issue..it sure hasn't ever been
> > a issue for me
> Indeed, Cable broadband throughput rates are exceptionally high today,
> comparable to the best DSL rates (theoretically 10Mbps at the PoP).
> Thanks to the "bursty nature" of Internet packet consumption, I believe
> you when you say that bandwidth saturation is rarely an issue for you.
> Please don't feel that I've been trying to dissuade you from using Cable
> -- it is the right choice for most broadband consumers.  It's the (as
> termed in academia) "Power Users" that usually prefer DSL [those
> individuals who run substantial SOHOs, who require bandwidth guarantees,
> or who simply want more control over their service].  :)
>
> I hope everything is pretty clear by now.  Thanks for helping me
> exercise this knowledge -- it was good for me in preparation for
> upcoming exams at school.  :)
>
> -- William
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

What's wrong with cable for small offices/home offices? Bandwidth garuntees?
DSL by far has more of a problem with bandwidth garuntees then cable:

1) I first seeked DSL for my broadband connection and chose AT&T (SBC at the
time) since they have the most coverage here while not charging an arm and a
leg

2) Their webpage said internet access was availible in our area

3) We applied, got a modem

4) Internet access was slow and spotty

5) We called support and after lots of run arounds they determined that our
phone wasn't of optimal quality for DSL and neither was our distance from
the central office

6) There was rumor of a local central office from some techs but others had
no idea...still a mystery to this day

6a) While we still had the DSL I checked the site again to see if it still
said dsl was availible in our area and it no longer said so...what the
hell???

7) We've cancelled our service since we were getting dialup speeds through
our DSL connection and moved to Comcast

8) Comcast support was friendly, no wait time, and very knowladgeble (may be
based on area)

9) Comcast delivers promised fast speeds without hassle

If you think a service that can fluctuate just because of a little phone
line noise and decreases as you are distanced from the central office is
more reliable then cable internet which doesn't get slower as you are
distanced from the central office and isn't as picky about line noise then I
guess it's your choice...Qwest is also amazingly more expensive then either
AT&T or Comcast but if you have a lot of extra cash to through around then I
guess whatever works...

As for more control...what more control does dsl offer? If anything it
offers less control