Freespire [was Re: [clue-tech] LAST NOTICE! Installfest 24 Feb.]

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 25 13:24:31 MST 2007

Yuko Jonah wrote:
> would it be possible to bring with you Freespire version.

Sorry that I didn't get this in time to answer before yesterday. :-(
We're trying but I guess our availability isn't quite 100% yet.

I could bring the OSS edition next time.  I'm not really inclined to
enter a replication and redistribution agreement with Linspire to bring
the complete version.  But fair use probably lets me bring you a CD in
any case.

[OT] Interesting that Linspire (was Lindows, and apparently isn't on the
WalMart computers anymore) set this up.  ESR is on their board and "has
recently declared that if the Linux desktop is ever to grab a large
share of the desktop market it must do it soon or it will never happen."
[1]  He thinks it's because 64 bit computers open a window of
opportunity but it's really because Google is about to whack desktop TCO
down to the point that MS and Linux can't compete.

  1. http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2603651519.html

I've looked at Linspire because Juno makes a deb of their client for
Linspire.  It's junk but it works on Debian (2.4 kernel only).  And it's
proprietary because they don't want anyone bypassing their ads.  I
wonder where they got their PPP code?