[clue-tech] Wi-Fi router recommendations?

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon Jan 8 13:56:47 MST 2007

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> The Linux crowd is partial to the WRT54G... line of wireless since they
> can run OpenWRT.  Are there any other wireless routers worth
> considering?  Either because they also can run a custom Linux install,
> or they offer better price/performance, or they have useful features
> (magic bridging, better security protocol support, etc.)?
>
> I finally have a wireless box that I want on my network.  Probably via
> openvpn so a router that could do that native, or had equivalent
> security built in might be nice.
>
> What do you think?

There are quite a few choices to be found in the links below.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

The DD-WRT folks rank them as follows:
  - Cheapest: Buffalo WHR-G54S
  - Fastest DD-WRT Performance*: Avila Gateworks GW2348-4
  - Most memory: Routerboard 532A or Avila Gateworks GW2348-4
  - Most flexible options (antennas, external storage, etc): Routerboard
532A
  - Best range using built-in antenna: Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
*note: x86 version excluded

I personally have the most experience with the WRTs.. just make sure you
get either the current GL version if you're buying new or find an older
pre-v4 model G or GS.