[clue-tech] Bad superblock on a FAT32 partition

Mon Jan 8 15:51:31 MST 2007

Do NOT write anything to the drive until you have created a diagnostic
backup of the the whole disc, so that you can get back to where you are
now, if you goof something up.  That's especially important if you have
no other backup.

One way to do get a diagnostic copy is this:

dd if=/dev/hdf of=some-file-somewhere.image

If you have media problems, that might not succeed, and you'll need to
use the options that force dd to continue in spite of errors, but
usually the backup is useless when you have media errors.  Also, the
image file must be on a filesystem that supports large files.

Do you get anything from the drive while in Windows?  Windows XP is
actually quite good at recovering corruptions in FAT and NTFS.  I would
try CHKDSK F: /R /F, where F is the actual drive-letter.

I'd also want to see what Computer Management/Disk...  has to say about
it.

parted is great at guessing in destroyed partitions.