[clue-tech] Making PDFs on the fly.

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Sun Jul 15 09:19:41 MDT 2007

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 07:53:29PM -0500, erik at ezolan.com wrote:
> What I'd like to do is personalize each PDF for each person. I've been
> trying to look this up, but Googling for Adobe or PDF is hopeless. (It's
> as bad as trying to look up info on .net )
When I need to make a customized PDF file, I look to LaTeX.  Which is
pretty easy to automate with a template file and sed, awk, perl, <pick
your favorite search+replace utility>.

> Ideally, I'm also trying to figure out how to embed info into the graphic
> files that will be inserted in the PDF. I'm not sure what the best way to
> do that would be. EXIF? Some sort of invisible watermark in the alpha
> channel?
Invisible watermark?  As long as screen-capture utilities exist, I
wonder how well this preventive measure would be.

> The reason I'm looking into doing this is to prevent people from uploading
> and sharing their copies.
By sharing so you loose money?  A fair number of dollars have already
been thrown at this problem (see the recording industry) without any
effective solutions.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard
khellman at mines.edu
                                   -*-
                    public key @ pgp.mit.edu B5354B76
    Y!M: mcprogramming                           AIM/ICQ: 485403897
                     gtalk: jabber at mcprogramming.com
                                   -*-

"Every man knows he is a sissy compared to Johnny Cash."

-- Bono (U2)