[clue-tech] Switching to Qwest DSL soon, any suggestions?

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Fri Jun 15 19:35:11 MDT 2007

Jon Buttjer wrote:
> Keith,
> Good morning.  Just before I left CO in July 2006 I helped a friend
> there setup Qwest DSL & wireless for his house using their wireless
> gateway.
>
> Good news - The DSL seemed to work well and he didn't have any
> problems once the DSL had been activated.
>
> Bad news - The DSL had to be software-activated through a series of
> wizards only available through Windows.  The self-install kit forced
> you to activate the account with Windows, but after that point, you
> were up and running without M$ interference.

You can skip the wizard entirely if you'd like.  Assuming you're using
the Actiontec modem you just need to direcly connect your PC to the LAN
port, manually assign the connected PC a static IP of 192.168.100.100
and then visit the modem config page in your browswer at
http://192.168.100.1.

You can then use the "Quick Setup" tab in the web interface to do a
wizard style setup or just head straight to "Advanced Setup" and
configure things yourself.
-Ken