[clue-tech] Switching to Qwest DSL soon, any suggestions?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jun 21 23:19:01 MDT 2007

On Jun 21, 2007, at 8:12 PM, F.L. Whiteley wrote:

> Sadly, the dumped their own news server (which rocked) for supernews
> (which doesn't, if you get blocked from posting).

Ahh that's too bad.  It's been a long time since I used
news.frii.net, and I didn't know that.  I remember that news spool
servers were a huge pain to setup/maintain and just did nothing but
eat disk space back when I worked in the ISP/data center biz.

Many small/medium-sized ISP's were jumping from having their own
servers to using the commercial guys like Supernews clear back then,
and I've been out of the ISP game since 2001.

It just wasn't cost-effective to run your own... it wasn't just the
server and constant eating of disk space, it was the time necessary
to really admin a USENET news server correctly.  It ate up too much
of the admin's time for something that was almost universally given
away for free, back then.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com