[clue-tech] Linksys wrt54gl story and question.

erik at ezolan.com erik at ezolan.com
Sat Mar 3 11:12:55 MST 2007

So the other day I was happily web browsing when the Internet went out on
me. To make a long story short, after calling Comcast it seems that my
Linksys router had died on me.

Later that day, I was thinking "How can a solid state device go bad
without giving off smoke or something?" So I did a hard reset, and
uploaded the latest firmware from Linksys. Walla. Everything worked fine
again. (Again, long story short)

But while I was doing that, I realized that I had the router that Linksys
claims it made to be linux friendly. And came across a handful of open
source firmware projects.

But there's only one thing I want from such a beast (Two, if you count
easy-of-use).  I use DynDNS, and even though the Linksys firmware has a
spot for it, it doesn't do the required refresh. If you don't let DynDNS
know your current IP address within 35 days, it removes you from the
records. Even if your IP hasn't changed.

Right now I have a dynDNS Updater that I run in my system tray on a
Windows computer on the LAN, but I would *much* prefer to have the router
do it.

Is there an open source router firmware that can do that?

Erik Z