[clue-tech] wrt54g v3 problem

Adam bultman adamb at glaven.org
Sat Mar 3 15:45:36 MST 2007

Collins Richey wrote:
> On 3/3/07, Adam bultman <adamb at glaven.org> wrote:
>> Collins Richey wrote:

>> > Many thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.
>> >
>> > And thanks also to Dennis. Yes the unit responds to the default ip
>> > address, but I fat fingered a password long ago, so I need to start
>> > over.
>> >

>> My WRT53Gv3 runs whiterussian 0.9 from www.openwrt.org very well. Runs
>> better than the linksys firmware, too.  You can upload the openWRT
>> firmware and it even remembers all your settings.
>>

> What is the process of enabling/flashing changes to the firmware? Also
> the openwrt site says that whiterussian is being stabilized inf favor
> of something called kamikaze.

Whiterussian 0.9 is the 'production' version.  "Development" is kamikaze
(which seems aptly named.)  To flash my linksys, I just downloaded the
appropriate .bin file and then used the web-based firmware updater to
upload the new firmware.     The safer way is to tftp it up to the
router, but that requires 'hacking' the system to enable boot wait (so
you can send a file to it as it boots and interrupt the normal boot
process.)

I had my router running whiterussian in about 5 minutes, from start to
finish. It reconnected to my PPPoE ADSL connection immediately, and
another two minutes later I had my ports forwarded to my internal SSH
server.

Adam