[clue-tech] wrt54g v3 problem

erik at ezolan.com erik at ezolan.com
Sun Mar 4 10:31:13 MST 2007

> How about a brief dd-wrt for complete dummies? The dd-wrt site has a
> lot of general information and a lot of (to me at least) mysterious
> versions to choose from.

Yes, do your research first.

I was too casual about the upgrade and didn't really study the
instructions when I flashed my router this morning. Right now I'm working
on "unbricking" it.

The details being:

1. I downloaded dd-wrt.v23_std_nokaid_generic.bin (It was the only
standard one visible here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fbeta+releases%2Fdd-wrt.v23+SP3%2F03-02-2007/

I still don't know what "nokaid" stands for. I can't find any info on it
at all.

2. Connected to the admin GUI on a plain http connection on 192.168.0.1,
uploaded the firmware. (Didn't reset to defaults first, like the
instructions said.)

3. After uploading, hit the "Continue" button. (Didn't wait 5 minutes like
the instructions said)

4. Was unable to get to any kind of GUI, but the router was working. I was
able to telnet to it, but it didn't like my login of "admin", it didn't
even bother to ask me for a password. (Didn't see "For DD-WRT versions
starting with 2006-Feb-28, the default username is root.")

5. Finally went and read the instructions, "This is at first because SP2
uses encrypted password storage inside nvram. You are unable to login
using root/admin before you reset. Please take this step serious!!!", I
figured it would apply to SP2 and above and rebooted the device.

6. Now it doesn't work and doesn't respond at all on both 192.168.0.1 and
192.168.1.1

I'm typing this all up so no one else will screw up like I did. :-)

Erik Z