[clue-tech] CUPS remote printing

Warren Turkal wt at penguintechs.org
Mon Mar 5 21:24:56 MST 2007

On Monday 05 March 2007 20:36, Collins Richey wrote:
> On the desktop I have in cupsd.conf

I am about to describe using browsing to discover the printers instead of
setting them up on each client. This is the power of CUPS and part of why it
is so cool.

Do you have a queue for the printer on the desktop? If not, create it and test
it. Once you have the queue working locally, check the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
to make sure you have browsing on. I have the following two lines to enable
it in my cupsd.conf.

Browsing On             #turns browsing on
BrowseAddress @LOCAL    #broadcasts queues to local networks

I believe that this can be set from the web gui. On the desktop, go to
http://localhost:631/admin/, and make sure that "Share published printers
connected to this system" is checked.

Okay, now we move to the client.

In cupsd.conf, make sure the following three lines exist.

Browsing On            #turns browsing on
BrowseOrder allow,deny #browsing info policy policy
BrowseAllow @LOCAL     #allow browsing broadcasts from local networks

I believe that this can also be set from the web gui. On the laptop, go to
http://localhost:631/admin/, and make sure that "Show printers shared by
other systems" is checked.

This should allow your laptop to discover broadcasted queues on it's local
network. My laptop will discover my queues on my local network at home, and
it will discover the queues on my work network when I am at work.

Also, in KDE, make sure you have the CUPS system selected as your printing
system.

wt
--
Warren Turkal (w00t)