[clue-tech] filesystem: which sector is file x on?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Mar 7 22:12:21 MST 2007

Jim Ockers wrote:
[...]
> I don't think this says anything about what sector any block is on.
> Remember in the physical drive there are heads, cylinders, and sectors.
> (I think.)  The drive may report a sector error and give a sector
> number, but I don't think that sectors are the same as blocks.

If you don't have anything better to go on you might try it anyway.

I think the kernel takes care of the numbering for you, except probably
  that FS blocks are bigger than disk blocks (debugfs shows this,
blockcount is a multiple of total blocks).  In that case you can
probably get the right number out of e2fsck -c.