[clue-tech] 2 kernels when booting

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Tue Mar 20 17:34:47 MDT 2007

Yuko Jonah wrote:
> I updated my ubuntu box after rebooting it bootup with 2 version of the
> kernel. How do i remove one of them the proper way without destroying or
> trashing the box.

Here's the GUI version:

1) Make note of which kernel you want to keep and which to remove.

2) Boot into the kernel you want to keep.

3) Open the Synaptic Package Manager

4) Look under "Base System" for the "linux-image-2.6.XX-XX" version you
 don't want, click the checkbox and select "Mark for Complete Removal"

5) look again to ensure you selected the right one

6) A popup box will appear asking you to confirm any remaining depended
packages that will be removed as well, hit "Mark" to confirm.

7) Click the "Apply" button on the top menu.

8) Confirm the packages shown in the popup box that will be removed and
push "Apply"

9) Watch as Synaptic takes care of the rest (including updating Grub,
removing old modules, etc).

10.. done.  reboot and you should see only one kernel version.

-Ken