[clue-tech] Linux bandwidth limiting

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Mar 20 20:04:03 MDT 2007

On 3/20/07, erik at ezolan.com <erik at ezolan.com> wrote:

> Situation:
> I have a bunch of files on my Linux box I'd like to share with my Internet
> friends. But I don't want my pipeline to the Internet to be saturated with
> their file transfers. How can I limit this?
>
> Bonus:
> Without limiting it to any of the boxes on my network.
>
> Erik Z

Doesn't take care of the "Bonus" round, but here's a little "recipe"
from a script I've used on a Debian box here...

tc qdisc add dev eth1 root tbf rate 750kbit latency 50ms burst 1540

I was looking through my bookmarks to figure out where I came up with
that, it was a good reference for the various types of QoS available
in Linux -- this was just the "quick and dirty" way I found to limit a
particular box, overall.

Nate