[clue-tech] Vmware on Ubuntu

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Tue May 8 07:28:50 MDT 2007

On 04-19 07:36, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Thanks, I'll check it out when I get the time - from a brief skim, it
> looks to be taking a different tack. I may try upgrade to feisty first,
> too.

Turns out there is now a much easier way to do it in feisty, and I have been
able to successfully install and run vmware. Now, I'm trying to get FreeBSD
on there as a guest OS within the Ubuntu host. Thing is, the network seems
to be a notwork. Has anyone found that you have to do anything special to
get Vmware to see your wireless card (this is on a laptop)? It does list an
eth1 within vmware config, but during FreeBSD's setup, doing any DHCP fails
and then trying to assign it a static IP doesn't do any good, either, so I'm
wondering if it is not finding the wired interface instead of the wireless
and assigning that to eth1.

BTW, the new install is linked from ubuntuguide to here:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-vmware-server-from-canonical-commercial-repository-in-ubuntu-feisty.html

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
Optimism: The doctrine that everything is beautiful, including what is ugly,
everything good, especially the bad, and everything right that is wrong.... It
is hereditary, but fortunately not contagious.
-Ambrose Bierce
(contributed by Chris Johnston)