[clue-tech] scripted screenshots

erik at ezolan.com erik at ezolan.com
Tue May 8 13:57:05 MDT 2007

> I want to take a screenshot every ten seconds or minute or whatever, and
> store it in a folder without any disruption of what I'm doing, so that
> later, when I try to figure out what the f* I did all day long, I have
> some sort of a record.
>
> Any idears?

Hm an interesting idea. I poked around and found this page:
http://tips.webdesign10.com/how-to-take-a-screenshot-on-ubuntu-linux

So I went and tried the Imagemagick route. It has a ton of features, but I
couldn't figure out how to make it just take the screenshot. It wanted me
to mouse click on the screen ever time.

I think scrot is more what you're looking for. It doesn't have many
features, but it will take a screenshot without any prompting from the
user. The only problem I had with it was that it would 'ding' when it took
a screenshot.

Toss that baby into a script for timing and naming of screenshots, turn
off dings in the console, and you should be set.