[clue-tech] Solution for converting complex XHTML to PDF?

Dan Harris dan at drivefaster.net
Thu May 10 21:44:40 MDT 2007

I'm working on a project that needs to convert many complex XHTML documents with
heavy use of images, tables and CSS to PDF.  This needs to run in a completely
automated fashion.  I have looked at XSL-FOP and HTMLDoc but both have
limitations that don't meet the requirements at hand.  XSL-FOP doesn't
understand CSS and HTMLDoc has very limited support for CSS, and at that, only
in the latest development version.

In order to accomplish this, I'm wondering if it might be possible to manipulate
Firefox or KHTML via some fancy API calls to print a document to postscript,
then call ps2pdf on the resulting file.  I have been googling for a while trying
to find resources on how to accomplish this, but I'm not finding anything that
fits my parameters.  Maybe this isn't possible?

Anyone done this before or have a recommended tool for accomplishing this?

Thanks

-Dan