[clue-tech] Converting excel files to csv in Linux

Richard Knechtel richard.knechtel at gmail.com
Sun May 13 13:04:33 MDT 2007

Just be forward if your going to be doing large Excel spreadsheets you will
need a large heap. I'm doing 40,000 row datasets into Excel and I need a
756M heap. So set some Java Args -X:Xms=128  -X:Xmx=756M or more if your
doing large datasets, you can play with your perm size and max perm sizes to
suit your needs. 256M -will- give out OutOfMemoryError's at around
28,000-29,000 rows of data with these API's. I have looked at -all- the Java
API's and all will require large heaps to use with large datasets but with a
756M-1024M heap you should be able to do up to 65,000 row Excel spreadsheets
(max row size is like 65553 I believe for a singel Excel spreadsheet)
comfortably.

HTH.