[clue-tech] Linux laptops

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 16:48:58 MDT 2007

It's official.  Dell has entered the foray of pre-installed Linux desktop/notebook systems.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

You're looking at at least a $50 savings over a similarly configured Windows system which you can either pocket or use towards a Canonical support contract since Dell is only supporting the hardware.  ATI hardware is not a configurable option for obvious reasons.  (Hopefully this will be the kick ATI needs to hurry up with some official drivers for Linux.)  What is oddly missing are the higher-end NVIDIA options on the XPS model.

The notebook ships with 512MB ($50 difference) instead of 1GB due to the lower system requirements of Ubuntu vs Vista.