[clue-tech] Linux on memory stick

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Sun Nov 4 21:57:39 MST 2007

Or should I say pen drive or flash drive?

I decided to try FaunOS.  It's based on Arch Linux but focuses on USB
memory sticks.  It is very easy to install and set up.  Just download
the iso and then use dd to copy the iso onto the stick.  The only
difficulty was getting my work laptop to boot from it. :)

It uses KDE, so I'll play with that but I think I will see if I can
switch to Gnome. I know Arch can run Gnome but I'm not sure how
switching to it will affect the desktop.

If you like Beryl, that is included and it was fun to turn it on and
impress someone.

Pendrivelinux.com creates a 750MB partition on the stick for a FAT
partition to be used bt Syslinux.  I would think that grub could be used
instead since the stick is treated like a SCSI disk.

The second partition is ext2.  I wonder if journalling is a good idea on
a memory stick?