[clue-tech] The Really Fast Way

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Nov 9 19:37:12 MST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007, at 8:21 AM, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 00:33 -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
>> Or if you do, they get typed into a script file so you can run them
>> again and again to your heart's content with a much shorter
>> name.  :-)
>> Who needs a GUI when you have a shell?  :-)
>
> Interesting question:  why would you use a GUI then?

LOL... is that a serious question?  The answer for me would be...
"Better and much smaller fonts".  That's about it.

I think I'm a good candidate to try out the "ratpoison" window-manager
someday if I ever fire up a Linux machine that has X on it, ever
again.  :-)

[snipped Michael's really nice description of how he uses the shell to
set up what he's working on, and how he has a lot of scripts/etc. to
do it.]

Similar thoughts here Michael... the only real difficulty I have is
that I'm a bit too lax about keeping all the various little script
snippets centralized.  I always "mean to" move them back to either my
laptop or a certain desktop machine, but they end up scattered...

Server stuff ends up on the server where it usually gets used (and
copied to others via scp in a rush when I want to run the same script
elsewhere... why I don't just pipe them through SSH, I don't know...
LOL) and goof-off/personal stuff (like my perl script to generate
mailing labels from my RoverLog log files after my June Ham Radio
Rover insanity) end up living on the laptop...

And then all get backed up, sooner or later... to something...

(Argh, this is making me think my backup strategy and organizational
skills are crap... well, for personal stuff I suppose they are.  Ha.
Work stuff is a different story.  I'm awash in far too many files on
personal disks, that's for sure...)

Not organized enough... must write a script to copy things back to the
central repository someday!  (GRIN)... Problem is, I will then over-
engineer the repository and make it a full blown version control
system (I keep meaning to try new things -- translation:  Not CVS.).

At work, it's easier... keep stuff on the work-provided desktop
machine (which is actually a laptop, but who's counting anymore?) and
back it up to a USB drive regularly or to a corporate and/or lab
fileserver... depending on how important it is and whether it needs to
survive nuclear holocaust or if it's just a script I can re-hack in 20
minutes.   :-)

(That's a joke about nuclear holocaust, but I'm sure there are at
least a FEW sysadmins out there who actually have such real
thoughts... yikes.)

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com