[clue-tech] Qwest DSL

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Nov 19 20:27:47 MST 2007

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:15:33 -0700
Keith Hellman wrote:

> Hell must have frozen over, because I now have DSL service in my area.
> The Qwest "Price for Life" deal seems appealing, and I'm wondering if
> people can share their Qwest DSL experiences so I can make an informed
> opinion.

Oh look, it's Keith Hellman! :-)

Is it Piled high and Deep yet?

> Here are some of the more pertinent questions:
>
> 1. Will they let me (occasionally) ssh into my home server?  Any
> restrictions there?

I haven't tried it, but I know of a case of a MOO running on Qwest DSL.
Used to know a guy who was running his website and mail server at home on
a Qwest line.

> 2. Should I use their modem or purchase another (suggestions on other
> models --- compatibility with Linux is a *major deal*).

YMMV. Despite what seems like everyone else I know complaining about
their Actiontec "modem" (it's a router, ya know?), mine has been rock
solid.

Compat with Linux is no biggie these days. You plug your ethernet card
into the thing, point your web browser at 192.168.0.1 to configure it. I
suspect even math majors will have no problems.

I plugged mine into a hub (not in brideged mode, just normal) and I have
two boxen connected, no troubles. Default DHCP/NAT settings work just
fine.

> 3. How is the performance?  I have Comcast (cable) broadband and am
> generally pleased. Qwest "silver" service (what I'm considering) is
> supposed to be about 5x the speed (1.5Mb/s).  Do others using their
> silver service see this type of bandwidth?

Beats me what "Silver" service is. I got a service which, if they even
still offer it, they sure don't advertise. It's just a connection without
a Qwest or MSN account. 7Mbs -- haven't actually clocked it, but it sure
beats the stuffing out of dailup. What's not to like?

jed