[clue-tech] Qwest DSL

Keith Christian keithchristian at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 13:49:35 MST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Roy J. Tellason <rtellason at verizon.net>
To: khellman at mcprogramming.com; CLUE tech <clue-tech at cluedenver.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:05:30 AM
Subject: Re: [clue-tech] Qwest DSL

On Monday 19 November 2007 22:15, Keith Hellman wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> Hell must have frozen over, because I now have DSL service in my
 area.
> The Qwest "Price for Life" deal seems appealing, and I'm wondering if
> people can share their Qwest DSL experiences so I can make an
 informed
> opinion.
>
> Here are some of the more pertinent questions:
>
> 1. Will they let me (occasionally) ssh into my home server?  Any
> restrictions there?
>
> 2. Should I use their modem or purchase another (suggestions on other
> models --- compatibility with Linux is a *major deal*).
>
> 3. How is the performance?  I have Comcast (cable) broadband and am
> generally pleased. Qwest "silver" service (what I'm considering) is
> supposed to be about 5x the speed (1.5Mb/s).  Do others using their
> silver service see this type of bandwidth?

The DSL service works fine with Linux.  Furthermore, I activated the DSL modem (with information and help from Qwest's support line) with a machine running Debian Etch, and Iceweasel.  (-:

The Qwest DSL service has worked fine, and I've been a customer since June of this year.

I picked up the modem kit at a Qwest store in a mall, then waited several days as requested by Qwest before connecting the DSL modem to the phone line.

When the account was active, I called Qwest to see how to activate the DSL account without installing the MSN software on the CDROM.  I explained that I was running Linux on the machine with the connection (via a wireless router) to the DSL modem.  The tech at Qwest stepped through the procedure, and it was possible to activate DSL without the MSN stuff.

The only thing missing from the Qwest residential DSL service is a news server connection.

======Keith