[clue-tech] New System Configuration

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 20:33:01 MDT 2007

On 10/8/07, Jed S. Baer <cluemail-jsb at freedomsight.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 14:44:36 -0600
> Collins Richey wrote:

> > 2. in /boot/grub/menu.lst, pay attention to the following lines which
> > look like comments, but trust me they are not. Here's an example from
> > mine. These will have values for your old disk and you need to modify
> > them for the new partition.
> >
> > # kopt=root=UUID=c9cd073d-f3e0-4510-95be-d040d1fd6c6a ro
> > # groot=(hd1,7)
> >
> > The next time you install a kernel, the update-grub procedure that is
> > run under the covers will ignore values for your running system and
> > blindly use these values to reconstruct all boot stanza entries
> > entries for your Ubuntu system!!! If you didn't change them, you're in
> > for an ah sh*t - system recovery again.
>
> Well, it seems my menu.lst is already using UUIDs. My kopt is commented
> out, but all the kernel lines say root=UUID=...

Read my instructions a little more closely. The lines

# kopt=root=UUID=c9cd073d-f3e0-4510-95be-d040d1fd6c6a ro
# groot=(hd1,7)

have the format of a comment, but the update-grub (or grub-update, I
forget) process that runs at kernel update time uses that comment as a
MODEL for generating kernel boot stanzas. I cloned a drive, fixed up
the grub.conf and fstab, and everything was cool until the next kernel
upgrade. At the next boot I was screwed. I reported this as a bug, but
the developers explained how this really works. Trust me, fix those
lines masquerading as comments.

--
Collins Richey