[clue-tech] New System Configuration

Mon Oct 8 21:36:31 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 21:23 -0600, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:02:09 -0600
> David L. Willson wrote:
>
> > I've used this method to move Linux systems to new drives / new boxes,
> > and it works great.  A USB drive rescue kit can allow you to transfer
> > directly from source to target.
> >
> > On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 19:36 -0700, Hex Star wrote:
> > > You could also image the old system on the old drive via dd to another
> > > spare drive, then write that image to the new drive and that should
> > > work fine. Only issue is that the partitions will not consume the
> > > whole drive space but that can be solved easily enough via a tool such
> > > as gparted. :)
>
> Or, just use dd directly to the new drive to start with? No need for 2
> steps, that I can see.

Right.  How 'bout this process?

1) Connect the new drive on secondary ATA or SATA1 or USB drive rescue
kit, or whatever.
2) Boot KNOPPIX
3) In a root shell, or sudo'ing:
   dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc
   # (where /dev/hda is the device-name of the old drive,
   #  and /dev/hdc is the devic-name of the new drive)
   gparted
   # pick the new disk and stretch partitions as desired
4) Shutdown and cable new drive in to old drive's position