[clue-tech] Installfest summary.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Oct 17 18:46:35 MDT 2007

My observations on installfest.  Those who were there hit delete.  Or if
you can stand to read this and relive the experience ;-), contribute
your own observations.

Yeah, this is late.  I started it a while ago and promptly ran out of
free evenings until now.  Next 'fest should be end of November but I'm
booked so it's looking like 8 Dec.

Got in and set up fine.  The dean opened the room and took good care of
us just like last time.  I heard a couple of comments on the
architecture--it really is nice, I think.

Wifi worked at once since network manager remembered it from last time
(I don't remember it working then).  Seems the "hex" setting for WEP was
needed though.  Network speed didn't seem to be an issue as I saw
several people downloading at about 1.5Mbps (but none faster than that).
  (I've since ditched network manager so we'll see what happens next time.)

There was a bright guy there asking about making boot splash screens.
Here's a Gentoo thing:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/

and in Debian take a look at the splashy and bootsplash packages.

We had people working on ndiswrapper and that went well enough.
Proprietary nvidia drivers were more problematic but maybe they don't
work so well on 64-bit.  Or maybe it was that motherboard.

I got to work some Samba authentication issues.  Samba requires an smb
password even if you have an account on the samba machine.  So what's
the best way to keep those sync'd (and especially to keep them sync'd
with an account on Windows).  AD, I guess.

I'm sure several other things got worked on, there were about 15 people
there all together.  I guess there was an ad hoc admin meeting with
Jeff, Collins, and Jed (good to see you again, Jed).  Jed has a cool HP
job now.  Awesome!  I haven't been paying attention but I guess the
results of the meeting should be coming out soon.

So what did I miss?