[clue-tech] Multi-boot chainloading to another boot partition

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Sep 3 10:52:50 MDT 2007

qqq1one @yahoo.com wrote:
>> After chaining to the slave grub can you use the shell to poke around
>> and see what grub thinks is where?
>
> Actually, as best as I can tell, the boot never gets as far as the slave grub.

Well, let's see.  I don't think that grub updates any config info on the
MBR.  And if it isn't using BIOS for drive access it might ignore the
mapping you've done.  So even though it's the slave grub running it may
use the config from the master drive (and it's the config you care about).

Perhaps the configfile command helps.  So you don't need to chain load,
you just switch config files and pick from that.  But the second config
file will probably have to understand where your slave drive is.