[clue-tech] sshd authorization strategies

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Wed Sep 12 15:54:53 MDT 2007

Dan Harris wrote:
> However, I'm not clear how this gets around my initial problem..  I
> don't want all accounts to have ssh access, only some, but I don't
> want to have to add each user to sshd_config and restart the service
> every time ( plus the 256 limit is looming ).

Well, I think something like /bin/false as a shell won't allow ssh file
tranfers.  And I'm pretty sure even rbash doesn't (which is why I ended
up having to use rssh).  So the default shell for a new user on your
system can be something like /bin/false that disallows access.  (At
least that's how I used to have users without any shell access.)

Then you can give scp users rssh.

Then you can give full shell users a non-restricted shell, but maybe
rssh is good enough for them anyway.

The man page says:

The allow/deny directives are processed in the following order:
DenyUsers, AllowUsers, DenyGroups, and finally AllowGroups.

So right now do you have something like DenyUsers * ?

Maybe you can change that to DenyUsers root, and then AllowUsers root at backup

Angelo