[clue-tech] sidux - new Debian based distro

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 11:57:37 MDT 2007

Since Dennis is pumping out new news, here's one I discovered
yesterday. Read all about it at the website http://sidux.com or a
review at http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/163/1/ .

In essence, sidux  is a KDE or Fluxbox implementation of Debian Sid
(the unstable branch) with a lot of polish and stabilization work. The
iso is a livecd from which you can install to disk which is what I did
yesterday, I haven't tried it on a laptop, but on a desktop it's just
plain schlicker-n-schnott. Unlike Debian Etch (kernel is too old for
my sound card), everything works on my system. It's very much like a
Ubuntu minus the non-debian changes and minus the millionaire backing.
There's an active and responsive forum. Appears to have been developed
in Germany. At least half of the forum index is made up of German
sections.

And you thought Debian was old and creaky and gnome-centric!

sidux has the usual warnings "don't put this on a production server",
but the desktop stuff is ready for prime time.

--
Collins Richey