[clue-tech] MAC NFS?

Dan Poler dpoler at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 21:41:09 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 13:25 -0600, David L. Willson wrote:

> How about another alternative?  iSCSI is either complex or expensive
> or
> slow or all of the above...

I'm a couple days behind, but...

iSCSI is actually pretty cheap 'n easy to set up -- I have a setup at
home whereby an OpenFiler box (www.openfiler.com - decent web GUI
config) exports several iSCSI targets to another system which runs an
iSCSI initiator (yum install / up2date iscsi-initiator-utils on RHEL /
Fedora ; man iscsiadm and look at the EXAMPLES section for the two
commands you need to scan for targets and login to them). Each iSCSI LUN
is the root disk for a Virtual Machine running via Xen. The whole setup
took an afternoon to get going, works across bonded Gig-E for
resiliency, and has been fairly easy to maintain. Can't speak numbers in
terms of performance but I've not noted any issues -- I've found more
limitation in the cheap-o hardware in my Openfiler box than in the TCP
overhead. :)

dap

--
Dan Poler, RHCE