[clue-tech] Declining Linux support.

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Sep 25 21:34:37 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 19:37 -0600, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> So it occurs to me that the better distros get at supporting things out
> of the box, the fewer people figure it out for themselves, and the
> harder it is to find out how things work under the covers (without
> having to disassemble them).

"World domination" on the desktop has it's drawbacks.  At least for
those who aren't using computers like grandma or Joe Gamer.  I don't do
upgrades specifically to force myself to try and remember some of the
more esoteric issues.  And every time I do upgrade I find new daemons
and processes running that I'd never heard of.  It's a never ending
challenge keeping up with it all.

> I've been keeping notes on things I have to figure out or hand configure
> (cause I hate having to figure them out again).  Maybe I need a blog to
> put that stuff on.

A long time ago I started keeping notes under my .plan and used finger
to browse things.  Then I wrote a little shell (and later perl) script
to keep logs, pushing the latest one to my .plan.  Then the Web came out
and I ported this to a system that pushed the logs to the web.

And then came Wordpress.

So now all my developer logs and notes of interest get stuck there (I
have my own wordpress blog - I don't use the public Wordpress blog
site).  And the nice thing is anyone can search it.  I think searches
for how to enable TCP connections to your desktop (run an app here, but
display it there) is probably the biggest thing people find on my site.
That and bits about getting their Acer laptop working.

If I could handle managing the spam posts I'd put a wiki up - start an
Encyclopedia Penguinista or something.  But keeping the spam out is a
full time job.  I don't know how well MediaWiki handles it but there
apparently were a lot of backdoors into PMWiki that caused me to have to
close it down on my development site.

--
Michael J. Hammel                               Ximba End User Software
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.ximba.org